Aw Ye Motherfucker

.

.

Sunday 31 May 2015

Just Breathe - Children's Perspectives on Anger

Teaching Mindfulness To Children

I was moved to tears when I first stumbled upon this video. As a child I grew up in a verbally abuse household and despite my wanting to be a less angry person, I have unfortunately been shaped by negative experiences both inside and outside of home. Stress has led me to eating more and more to deal with it. I sometimes forget to think and swear angrily which has obviously led to more family escalations. I try to retreat away and punch the wall or hit myself to calm myself down. I now have high blood pressure as well.

I have always wanted to avoid having children because I fear that my violent conditioning may show up again as a parent. I also avoided relationships because I don't want the person I love to see me when I'm in a terrible state. I never knew how to focus my frustrations and anger as a child. Its taken many years, with the help of music and the internet to help me understand mental health and anger as a topic more closely.



When I watched this video I felt hopefully that there is hope for children out there and even myself. As an adult I should try my best to teach this to children when I see an opportunity. Its fascinating to think that children so young can have a grasp on mental health issues such as these. Then again they are slowly learning about the world and themselves. They come up with very colourful metaphors and solutions. I especially liked the idea of the mind as a jar of glitter that gets shaken up. I was also pleasantly surprised by the child who knew how anger is processed through the pre fontal cortex.

Dear reader, please take a few minutes to watch this very touching and informative video.


No comments:

Post a Comment