Aw Ye Motherfucker

.

.

Saturday 21 July 2012

The Cosmos

Do you ever feel like just escaping? I wake up every morning for work feeling like shit. I feel like shit at shit work with shit bosses. I come in, play games/ watch tv and films for some time/ listen to music. Then I don't feel like going to sleep, so I put that off as long as I can. Then I do go to sleep, wake up, and the cycle begins again. I hate the idea of repeating this cycle till the end of my days but i don't want to contemplate any other mode of living.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and I would like to know if there is there any form of medication or meditation that can slow down our perception of time (or make our mind be outside of it?) and increase the levels which our thoughts can reach, essentially our clarity? But who am i kidding, I'd soon forget to take the medication and meditation would bore me very quickly.

I hold the belief that people are blinded daily by petty things and their own or other peoples pettiness... As well as that, by chemicals, hormones, by what society is telling them to be or not be, believe or not believe, by their peers, by their family, by their environment... Humanity has the potential to ascend beyond all of these things and it's the one thing every human being has in common, but shows so little of. That sounds very pretentious, but it's true. We're the one big collective, yet so many of us are alone, through our own feelings and perceptions or through other factors. The wisest and most intelligent of us seek answers in philosophy, in space, time, and the universe, in science, in the great question mark that is art and yearn to understand more. Those who are weak minded and idiotic look in religion and desire no furhter understanding as they are comforted by fabricated delusions. Yet there are others that gave up long ago and just escape into the mindlessness of daily life and the cogs turning in the big machine that is society, or find other ways to escape. Everyone is so apathetic and autonomous that it sickens me.


These last few days i've been monitoring my spending, budgeting, masturbating, going out with friends with near 0 restrictions and for the first time in 18 years i've not had to sit in a theater where a deluded old virgin spouted nonsense from his pulpit.  But no matter what i do, i cannot escape or abandon fully my hatred for religion. One side says just let it go, theres nothing a worthless speck lke you can do to change what people think, the other says no, i mst educate myself and make sure I expose religion for what it truly is. Whether I can do that on a massive scale or small, only the future will tell.

As I sat eating my lunch, i noticed the following in the paper.

SHOULD PRIESTS REVEAL SINS


Open Confessions:


• Under Australian law, Catholic priests are not required to report crimes they are told about during confession.


• The Catholic Church believes those who confess their sins to a priest - even the most heinous crimes - are absolved and freed from guilt.


• The priest is then bound by the Cod of Canon Law that states, "The sacramental seals is inviolable".


• There have been reports of child molesting priests haven confessed to fellow priest who have then refused to name the criminals due to this law.

You get the fucking point.



Today i went for the first job interview i got back which was from Maccas. But before that i decided to drop by Rhodes and visit Lewis and Chi while they were working at EasyWay. Before i went to lurk i went inside Angus and Robertson and bought "The Greatest Show On Earth" by Richard Dawkins. I bought this book becase it laid out in a detailed and structural manner the evidence for evolution by natural selection. I thought this important because a few months ago i listened to an online lecture from Christopher Hitchens (R.I.P.) about free speech.

He said 

It’s not just the right of the person who speaks to be heard, it is the right of everyone in the audience to listen, and to hear. And every time you silence someone you make yourself a prisoner of your own action because you deny yourself the right to hear something. In other words, your own right to hear and be exposed is as much involved in all these cases as is the right of the other to voice his or her view. Indeed as John Stuart Mill said, if all in society were agreed on the truth and beauty and value of one proposition, all except one person, it would be most important, in fact it would become even more important, that that one heretic be heard, because we would still benefit from his perhaps outrageous or appalling view.

let’s say as if in compensation for that everyone is made to swallow and official and unalterable story of it now, and it’s taught as the great moral exemplar, the moral equivalent of the morally lacking elements of the Second World War, a way of distilling our uneasy conscience about that combat, if that’s the case with everybody, as it more or less is, and one person gets up and says, “You know, about this Holocaust, I’m not sure it even happened. In fact, I’m pretty certain it didn’t. Indeed, i begin to wonder if the only thing is that the Jews brought a little bit of violence on themselves.” That person doesn’t just have a right to speak, that person’s right to speak must be given extra protection. Because what he has to say must have taken him some effort to come up with, might contain a grain of historical truth, might in any case get people to think about why do they know what they already think they know. How do I know that I know this, except that I’ve always been taught this and never heard anything else?

It’s always worth establishing first principle. It’s always worth saying what would you do if you met a Flat Earth Society member? Come to think of it, how can I prove the earth is round? Am I sure about the theory of evolution? I know it’s supposed to be true. Here’s someone who says there’s no such thing; it’s all intelligent design. How sure am I of my own views? Don’t take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the felling that whatever you think you’re bound to be OK, because you’re in the safely moral majority."



Much of my personal hatred stems from religion but how can I be taken seriously if I am not knowledgeable enough to defend my own fact?. Hence I thought ok lets read. In time i will read the Torah and the Qu'ran. I put in a deposit for Cosmos by Carl Sagan and even though it will take a few months to arrive I am excited and anxious to read it. Indeed while in the end there seems to be little point in accumulating knowledge before the nothingness, I push myself to remember that there is no harm in wanting to live life questioning everything, wanting to know as much, understanding as much as possible before Death takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment