Aw Ye Motherfucker

.

.

Thursday 17 May 2012

Photographs and Literature


             
Its taken well over 10 years of saving up money, occasionally not eating, walking a home instead of bus-ing it home, squandering and hoarding in order for this collection to have grown. Here ladies and gentlemen is the source from which i draw forth my daily energy to function and motivate myself to press on with my life despite the overwhelming knowledge that I'm a insignificant dot like everyone else. The DVDs are just some extra cherries on this metallic cd case cake. Seeing as i'm no longer going to uni i've spent the last few days just sitting at home messing with my guitar, playing with my doggy, reading some literature, listening to debates and discovering new music like that of Sarah Mclachlan. But amazing as it seems i'm bored of being bored.


Today i thought well if I'm going to take photos i need a faster way to get my photos onto my laptop so off i went to the camera store to buy a USB SD card reader. It worked quite well as you can see from the pictures above. I bought along "God Is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens to read. I had to pretend i was at uni till 5pm which meant leaving the house between 1pm and 6pm. I sat in the food court for about 3 hours straight, the sound of hungry consumers blocked out only by the solemn cello music resonating through my earphones. I spent the last 2 hours at the local library where i borrowed Animal Farm by George Orwell.

Theres nothing quite like sitting in a public area and watching the crowd slowly evolve and pulsate as people come and go through, the feeling of being alienated or as some have put it, hidden in plain sight. Yet one can't help but feel somewhat superior to those around him or her, feeling like the only person in the vicinity who understands the repercussions and consequences of being part of the never ending cycle of materialism and consumerism. But i am being hypocritical yet again, JUST LOOK AT ALL THOSE CD's. I don't think anyone will EVER achieve total enlightenment and detachment from society seeing as we've have grown up dependent on it. Fuck theres even monks with IPADS NOW. I'm totally serious.


HAHA THAT IS SOOO ME. Anyway getting on with it. I was bored of masturbating, bored of reading books and bored of listening to MUSIC, or even SLEEPING, so i decided to clean up all my photos and pack them into nice little folders on my computer. As i was sorting through them i began to wonder.. why the FUCK do i take photographs? Isn't it kind of pointless? I mean it feels good to be useful sometimes and to take photos knowing that you've captured a moment on film or in todays world, in 1's and 0's but is there really any point? 

Well as i wrestled within my mind i thought... well if people are happy in the moment then perhaps my photographs do nothing more than propagate that feeling of happiness, or anger or whatever, for perhaps just a little longer if they happen to look at them. I have folders from my trips and meet ups with K11, pictures of my dog, miscellaneous pictures of anything (nature), the pictures from Japan and much more... All these photos really do is give other people a reminder of what happened recently, but for me especially, they serve more as a solemn reminder that the past is the past and it is gone forever, never to be recovered, only to be yearned after or lost in the recesses of our minds. 

So in the end of the day, perhaps it is quite pointless to hoard pictures. But hey its something i captured with my own hands and if it serves only as an temporary incentive for others happiness as they remember the past, well then at least i've done some good. Fuck i did not get my thoughts across well with this photography thing.


Haven't you ever felt so pissed that you felt like giving someone a fucking AXE TO THE FACE? Anyway moving along with the second part of this narration. After HSC i swore that i would reeducate myself through literature. I read 1984 by George Orwell, a brilliant take on what living under a totalitarian regime would be like, much akin to todays situation in North Korea. I then went and bought 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins, fuck yeah science and biology is interesting as hell, FUCK Fundamentalism. But after finishing this 2nd book i tried to get started on some classics, I pulled out Pride and Prejudice, got halfway and thought fuck it. The passion had burned out and uni was starting.

But in recent days i have felt the burning flame for literature slowly rekindling and off i went to borrow Animal Farm by George Orwell and i ordered Fight Club and American Psycho online as these books are still banned in libraries. Got theses 3 lined up and ready to go. I haven't finished reading 'God Is Not Great' by Christopher Hitchens yet because his command of the english language is Astronomical and i have to pause every few sentences to look up a word in the dictionary. Well at least my stance as an anti theist is strengthening and my vocabulary 
e   x    p    a    n    d    i    n    g.

Now that i think about it, it is impossible to say which is world is larger than the other. Its overwhelming when you compare the vast collection of literature with the world of music. no one can really say for sure which is more vast and deep. Even if the everyone in the world spontaneously combusted and died except for you, it would take several hundred lifetimes to go through every book and song in existence. How that for a scope and indication of how very small and insignificant YOU are.

AND THATS JUST THE LITERATURE AND MUSIC OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, THINK ABOUT HOW MANY FUCKING LANGUAGES THERE ARE OH MY FREAKING GOD
----------------------------------


TOTALLY UNRELATED BUT AAAAWWEEESSSSOOOMMMMEEEE


No comments:

Post a Comment